Due to routine maintenance, this site may be temporarily unavailable on Sunday, November 27th between the hours of 6 pm and 7 pm. We apologize for any inconvenience.

You are here: Energy Assistance Program

Energy Assistance Program

The following, programs are administered by the Ohio Department of Development’s Office of Community Service (OCS).

The Ohio Department of Development (ODOD) offers several programs to help low-income eligible homeowners and renters pay their utility bills and improve the energy efficiency of their homes.  The County Fiscal Officer’s Community Service Department offers assistance in processing the applications for the following programs:
  • Home Energy Assistance Program (HEAP)
  • Home Weatherization Assistance Program (HWAP)
  • Winter Crisis Program (WCP)
  • Summer Crisis Program (SCP)
  • Percentage of Income Payment Plans (PIPP)

Applications Are Available In The Community Service Department

What Are The Benefits?

HEAP is a federally funded program designed to help meet the high cost of home heating. Open enrollment for heap starts August 1st thru May 31st.

HWAP is a federally funded, low in-come residential energy efficiency program. This program can save energy, cut your gas and electric bills, and make your home more comfortable.  If you qualify for this program, you could receive the following services at no cost:


  • Furnace tune-ups, clean and check
  • Minor repair of windows, doors & weather-stripping
  • Attic and sidewall insulation
  • Hot water tank insulation

WCP is a special component of the heap emergency home energy assistance program (E-Heap) the E-Heap is administed by local agencies. This program provides assistance once per heating season to eligible households.

SCP is the low-income home energy assistance program (LIHEAP) – summer crisis program. The program is designed to help qualified households pay for summer cooling.

PIPP is an extended payment arrangement that requires regulated gas and electric companies to accept payments based on a percentage of the household income. You must re-certify yearly for this program.

Who is eligible?

  • Homeowners and renters who participate in the Home Energy Assistance Program (HEAP), the Percentage of Income Payment program (PIP), receive Temporary Assistance to Needy Families (TANF), or receive Supplemental Security Income (SSI) automatically qualify.
  • Other homeowners and renters can qualify for the program based on the following income limits:

Applications for the Regular HEAP program will be accepted August 1st, through May 31st, of every year. The total household income of an applicant must be at or below 200 percent of the Federal Fiscal Year. Please visit energyhelp.ohio.gov for a list of all included and excluded income.

I am a renter. Can I still apply for free weatherization services?

  • Renters who receive HEAP, PIP, TANF, SSI, or meet the income limits are eligible to apply .
  • Your landlord must sign an agreement and pay a small contribution toward the cost of services. (Landlord contribution is greater if heat is included in the rent or extensive heating work is needed)
  • Landlords who meet the income limits themselves may have their contributions waived.
A household applying for HEAP must report total gross household income for the past 12 months for all members, except wage or salary income earned by dependent minors under 18 years old. Both homeowners and renters are eligible for assistance. 

How To Apply

Contact the State HEAP office at 1-800-282-0880. Also, applications may be picked up at the Office of Cuyahoga County Fiscal Officer - Transfer & Recording Department, 2079 E. 9th Street, 4th Floor, Cleveland Ohio, 44115