You are here: Home > Recorded Documents > Veteran Services > Veteran Information

Veteran Information

Veteran Military ID Cards:

Military ID cards can be obtained from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. at the Cuyahoga County Administrative Headquarters 2079 East Ninth Street Room 4-100 , Cleveland OH 44115


Honorably discharged veterans must provide 3 forms of identification:

  1. Form DD-214 (military discharge paper)
  2. Two of the following:  current driver's license, state identity card, military identification card, passport or any government-issued identification card
  3. One of the following: birth certificate, Social Security card, employment ID card, military identification card (can be expired), library card, checking account, or utility bill
For more information, call our office at 216-443-7020.

Locating Veterans:

Under the Privacy Act, as a federal agency, the Veteran’s Administration is required to protect the privacy of veterans’ personal information. Therefore, the VA cannot release personal information about a veteran in their records system without that person’s permission. They can, however, forward a message from you to the veteran, providing the veteran has filed a claim with VA and they have an address on record. 

MarineLink: supports The Reunions Page. Started on April 1,1998, the list contains reunions from all branches of the service listed by date of reunion. New reunions are added daily. You may also add reunions to this list. You may also look at the veterans groups shown on Switchboard. Switchboard can be found at and contains over 90 million people and 10 million businesses with their addresses and phone numbers. As always, be very careful when using personal information on the newsgroups. 

Presidential Memorial Certificates:

In March, 1962, President John F. Kennedy initiated a program intended to honor the memory of honorably discharged deceased veterans. An engraved paper certificate, called a Presidential Memorial Certificate (PMC) is provided, upon request, by the Department of Veteran’s Affairs. This document, bearing the President’s signature, expresses the nation’s grateful recognition of the veteran’s service in the United States Armed Forces. There is no form to use when requesting a PMC. The certificate is available to all honorably discharged, deceased veterans or their next of kin and loved ones. When requesting a certificate, be sure to include a copy of the deceased veteran’s discharge and death certificate. Requests cannot be sent via e-mail.

You may request your Presidential Memorial Certificate by mail at:

Presidential Memorial Certificates (402E12) Department of Veterans Affairs 810 Vermont Avenue, NW Washington, DC 20420-0001.

Or by FAX, with all supporting documents to Tel: 202-565-8054 

Obtaining Military Records & Replacement Medals:

Military Records are kept by the National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) which is under the jurisdiction of the National Archives and Records Administration. To request military service records, you must complete Standard Form 180, Request Pertaining to Military Records. Fill in as much information as possible and send it to the correct address listed on the form. It may take up to six (6) months for the NPRC to reply to your request.

Request for the issuance or replacement of military service medals, decorations, and awards should be directed to the specific branch of the military in which the veteran served. However, for Air Force (including Army Air Corps) and Army personnel, the National Personnel Records Center will verify the awards to which a veteran is entitled and forward the request with the verification to the appropriate service department for issuance of the medals.

The Standard Form (SF 180), Request Pertaining to Military Records, is recommended for requesting medals and awards. Provide as much information as possible and send the form to the appropriate address found on the Contacts page of this website.

Generally, there is no charge for medal or award replacements. The length of time to receive a response or your medals and awards varies depending upon the branch of service sending the medals.